Anyone else want to just yell “Dragon Khaaaan!” after that title?
J&K went to Dragon Con! This was Kristina’s fifth year attending the awesome scifi and fantasy convention, and Jonathan’s first. We wanted to share highlights with our seekers on the geeky fun we had. Here are the things we did together (Kristina will be posting more of her own activities on her own blog).
Fun Things at Dragon Con 2016
- Georgia Aquarium. While DC has a “night at the aquarium”, J&K visited on a weekday when it was less busy. The giant Voyager (ha, more Star Trek – J.) tank with whale sharks, manta rays, and more is mesmerizing and inspirational. We rode the conveyer belt through the tunnel at least 3 times.
- Authors! Some of the greats (including a few of our favorite Star Wars authors) shared writing insights and fun facts. Timothy Zahn, Kevin J. Anderson, Jim Butcher, and Mercedes Lackey to name a few. As writers ourselves, it is empowering to know that their struggles are the same as our own.
- Gaming. Although we didn’t play games, we wandered around and creeped on all of the awesome table top games, larp stations, and the Japanese Arcade games area. We also saw an awesome starship bridge simulator called Artemis, with individual stations for helm, weapons, science, etc. Star Trek come to life!
- Battlestar Galactica. So say we all! We listened to the actors of one of our all time favorite TV shows talk about their experience on the show and after. It’s nice having friends who get as obsessed as you and theorize about a TV show (What is Starbuck anyway?).
- Cosplaying. J cosplayed as Cloud Strife and K cosplayed as Tifa Lockhart. We did versions from the Advent Children movie (but K mashes up the gloves and shoes from the video game). We had a Final Fantasy photo shoot with other fans. It was an awesome experience to be with a group of people also into those games.
- Photos with actors. Kristina met Jacqueline Samuda (Nirtti in Stargate Sg1) and Jonathan met Craig Parker (Haldir in LOTR, Gaius Claudius Glaber in Spartacus ).
Did any of our seekers go to DragonCon? What were your favorite parts?